Frederick-Douglass Knowles II is an Educator and Activist fervent in achieving community augmentation through literary arts. He is the inaugural Poet Laureate for the City of Hartford. His works have been selected as a finalist for the New England Association of Teachers of English (NEATE) Poet of the Year Award, as well as a two-time Pushcart Prize nominee. He is a recipient of the Nutmeg Poetry Award, and the 2020 Connecticut of The Arts Fellow in Artist Excellence for Poetry/ Creative Non-Fiction. Frederick-Douglass is the author of BlackRoseCity, and a Professor of English at Three Rivers Community College in Norwich, CT.
Imagine a young poetic voice that is powerful, yet fearful. It fears that no one wants to hear about its innermost vulnerabilities due to a cultural absence of empathy. Or a powerful young voice that is fully aware of its magnitude, but unaware of how to articulate its experience utilizing literary techniques designed to amplify its story. Now imagine those same voices expressing themselves to the heartfelt rhythm of #BeatLit.
#BeatLit illustrates an interactive, creative writing campaign designed to amalgamate the literary and performing art of poetry. #BeatLit combines the element of active reading with generative creative writing exercises to compose literary and/or performance poetry in order to improve the competency and confidence of aspiring writers.
#BeatLit establishes working relationships with local schools, libraries, community organizations and institutions, as well as, artistic venues throughout Greater Hartford to encourage young writers to achieve their literary dreams.
1. Witness Stone Project, New Haven, CT 12:30pm, 6/1
2. Connecticut Creative Futures, Fox News Interview 6/4
3. Gray Path Academy, Manchester, CT 2pm, 6/11
4. CO:LAB, University of Hartford, West Hartford, CT 1:30pm, 6/16
5. Capitol Preparatory School, Hartford, CT, 2pm, 6/18
6. Witness Stone Project, West Hartford, CT 10 am, 6/19
7. Young Poetry Day. Sunken Garden Poetry Festival, Farmington,CT 5pm. 6/23
8. Hartford City Council, 7pm. 6/28
9. Art For Aids. Hands On Hartford. Hartford, CT. 7pm. 7/24
10. Keeler Tavern Museum Garden. Ridgefield, CT. 7pm. 7/27
11. Hartford House of Style Pop Up Party. The Russell. Hartford, CT. 7:30pm. 7/29
12. Hoodie Talk860. Norwich Arts Center. Norwich, CT. 6pm. 8/6
13. Books on Pratt. Pratt St. Hartford, CT. 12pm. 8/7
14. New Haven Poetry Slam. New Haven, CT. 7:30pm. 8/28.
15. Hartford L.I.T. Festival. Hartford Public Library. 1pm. 9/11
16. Voices of Poetry. The Mount: Edith Wharton's Home. Lenox, MA. 4pm. 9/12
17. Connecticut Literary Festival. Real Artways. Hartford, CT. 10/23