Frederick-Douglass Knowles II is an Educator and Activist fervent in achieving community augmentation through literary arts. He is a Professor of English at Three Rivers Community College in his native city of Norwich, CT and the inaugural Poet Laureate of Hartford. He is the recipient of the Nutmeg Poetry Award and the Connecticut of The Arts Fellow in Artist Excellence for Poetry/ Creative Non-Fiction. Knowles is a Pushcart Prize nominee and the author of BlackRoseCity.
Imagine a young poetic voice that is powerful, yet fearful. It fears that no one wants to hear about its innermost vulnerabilities due to a cultural absence of empathy. Or a powerful young voice that is fully aware of its magnitude, but unaware of how to articulate its experience utilizing literary techniques designed to amplify its story. Now imagine those same voices expressing themselves to the heartfelt rhythm of #BeatLit.
#BeatLit illustrates an interactive, creative writing campaign designed to amalgamate the literary and performing art of poetry. #BeatLit combines the element of active reading with generative creative writing exercises to compose literary and/or performance poetry in order to improve the competency and confidence of aspiring writers.
#BeatLit establishes working relationships with local schools, libraries, community organizations and institutions, as well as, artistic venues throughout Greater Hartford to encourage young writers to achieve their literary dreams.
1. CREC University of Hartford Magnet School, Hartford, CT 1/14 9am.
2. CREC University of Hartford Magnet School, Hartford, CT 1/20 9 am.
3. Fatherhood Manologue, Wadsworth's Amistad Center For Arts & Culture, Hartford, CT 2/10 5pm.
4. Hall High School, West Hartford, CT 2/11 7:30 am.
5. 1st Annual Black History Fundraiser, Enfield Public Library, Enfield, CT 2/12 6pm.
6. Connecticut Black Poets Laureate, Ridgefield Library, Ridgefield, CT 2/17 6pm.
7. #BeatLit Creative Writing. Hall High School, West Hartford, CT 2/18 7:30am.
8. 4C's Union Protest. CCSU Systems Office, 61 Woodland St., Hartford, CT 2/19 12pm.
9. Black Poets' History Month Homage, Asylum Hill Church, Hartford, CT 2/20.
10. Ethnic Literature Artist Talk, Coast Guard Academy, New London, CT 2/24, 8pm.
11. Poets on Poets (POP) Series, Connecticut Poetry Society, Virtual, 4/21 7pm.
12. Earth Day Celebration. CT Literary Festival. Real Artways. Hartford, CT, 4/22 6:30pm
13. Harris Sister Heritage. Otis Library, Norwich, CT 4/23 11am.
14. Poetz Realm. Bridgeport, CT 5/25 9pm.
15. Hip Hop Appreciation Day. Vernon Middle School. Vernon, CT 6/9 8am
16. Juneteenth Celebration. Gunn Memorial Library. Washington, CT 6/14 1pm
17. Air Fest. New England Brewing Co., Woodbridge, CT 6/18 1pm
17. Juneteenth Celebration. Blueback Square, West Hartford, CT 6/19 11am
18. Juneteenth Celebration. Enfield Town Green, Enfield, CT 6/19 3:30pm
19. Fresh Voices, Hillstead Museum, Farmington, CT 6/22 5pm.